The enchanting ivy-clad Château de la Roulerie sits at the heart of an estate which dates back to 1070 and is steeped in local folklore. The chateau itself was constructed in the 15th century and is named after a 14th century knight, Chevalier Raoul, whose connection to the property has been lost in the mists of time. The current owner is Philippe Germain who reinitiated winemaking on the estate after a hiatus of 20 years. With help from his wife and brother, Philippe farms 38 hectares of vines which have been certified organic since 2015. These holdings include terraced plots on the gentle slopes of the Val du Layon which are a real rarity in the Loire Valley. The property is predominantly planted with Chenin Blanc which thrives on the schist soils.