The Pinot Noir Peninsula Paringa Estate is a Mornington Peninsula regional wine. The fruit is taken from Estate managed Pinot Noir blocks, which accounts for approximately 60% of the final wine, with the remaining 40% sourced from a number of contracted growers. The grapes come from some warmer sites in the lower part of the region and also from cooler sites which are located at a higher altitude, providing complexity and a layered dimension to the wine.
The grapes were 100% destemmed prior to vinification. The fruit was then fermented in two-tonne open fermenters and spent an average of 21 days on its skins. The wine was matured on its lees in French oak barrels, for a period of 11 months.
Located in the heart of Victoria’s beautiful Mornington Peninsula, Paringa Estate was founded in 1984 by Lindsay McCall when he purchased a derelict orchard. Lindsay’s passion and fascination with wine began in the mid-1970s and by the mid-1980s he decided to follow his dream by establishing Paringa Estate. The first vintage was in 1988 with just three tonnes of fruit and over the years it has grown considerably, with production now at 16,000 cases. Paringa Estate is one of the most highly awarded boutique wineries in Australia, regularly winning trophies for its Shiraz, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The collection includes a stunning and precise Pinot Gris, as Lindsay
says anywhere capable of growing great Pinot Noir should be capable of growing great Pinot Gris. The wines pay homage to Burgundy in style and James Halliday says Paringa Estate is “one of the best, if not the best, wineries on the Peninsula”.