The hand-harvested grapes to produce Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru “En Virondot” Domaine Marc Morey were carefully sorted. Fermentation started in temperature controlled stainless steel vats where malolactic conversion took place. The Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru “En Virondot” Domaine Marc Morey fermenting must was transferred to barrel halfway through fermentation, where it was completed in oak. Maturation took place in medium-toast French oak barrels, of which 20 to 25% were new; the barrels are used for four years before being replaced.
The 1er Cru vineyard ‘En Virondot’ covers just over two hectares and sits at 350 metres elevation at the top of the Chassagne Montrachet village, on a prime stretch of south east facing slopes. Domaine Marc Morey owns 95% of the vineyard and the remaining 5% does not declare any En Virondot, making this wine a ‘label’ monopole. This 1er Cru site is difficult to cultivate, there is very little topsoil in the vineyard. The rock is Bathonian limestone which is close to the surface, but the pale, chalky topsoil is ideal for growing Chardonnay as it produces wines with distinct freshness. The vines have an average age of 25 to 30 years and in pursuit of quality, the yields have been lowered to well below 40 hectolitres per hectare. The vineyards are sustainably cultivated. The work undertaken in the vineyard is meticulous; they try not to disturb the flow of the sap promoting the natural health of the vine. Strict debudding takes place in order to concentrate the sugars in the remaining buds and the vines and canopies are sufficiently ventilated to avoid disease.
Domaine Marc Morey was established in 1919 by Ferand Morey. He was joined by his son Marc Morey in 1944 and the domain has been passed down subsequently through the generations. In 2003, Marc Morey’s granddaughter, the talented winemaker Sabine Mollard, took over the reins. The old cellar lies under their magnificent house, which was a former coaching inn and Marc Morey’s family home for 100 years. Domaine Marc Morey’s wines have become renowned worldwide, especially their exquisite Chassagne Montrachets which are elegant, complex and display wonderful minerality.