To produce the Pecorino “Alta Quota” Gran Sasso grapes were carefully hand-picked and selected in the vineyards. At the winery grapes were gently crushed and cooled in order to help settling with skin-contact for about 12 hours at 3°C. Then, approximately 80% of the must was fermented into temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 12°C and the remaining 20% in 40HL oak barrels.The wine remained in stainless steel tanks at a temperature of about 10°C to maintain its aromas before bottling.
Pecorino is an indigenous grape variety planted almost exclusively in the Abruzzo and Le Marche regions.The 200 hectares vineyards are situated on calcareous clay soils with some layers of limestone. They are located at approximately 150 metres above sea level around the town of Orsogna close to the Majella Mountains in Abruzzo.The vines are between 15 and 20 years old and are trained with the pergola system.
The Gran Sasso wines are made by Valentino Sciotti and his team. Rino Santeusanio and Francesco De Santis are the winemakers, with Alberto Antonini acting as consultant. Together, they ensure that the wines have a freshness and vivacity that sets them apart from many in this area. The team work closely with their growers to produce a deep-coloured, clean and plummy young Montepulciano, as well as their ‘riserva’ style ‘Alta Quota’ Montepulciano d‘Abruzzo Colline Teramane DOCG which is from a zone in the northern part of Abruzzo that is renowned for the quality of its wine. The Trebbiano grapes are grown in the cooler areas of the Apennine foothills and fermented at low temperatures. The Pecorino is apparently named after the resemblance that the bunch of grapes bears to a sheep’s head. A relatively rare variety, there are only 300 hectares planted in Abruzzo and Le Marche.