The grapes to produce the “Riccitelli & Father” Matias Riccitelli were meticulously selected by hand prior to vinification. 20% was vinified as whole cluster, to impart structure and complexity, the remaining 80% was destemmed. The grapes were fed by gravity into small French oak vats, where fermentation took place with indigenous yeasts at temperatures of between 26° and 28°C. Vinification took place without any additions and the cap was very gently submerged by hand in order to achieve a slow extraction of flavours, aromas, colour and tannins. The ageing continued in 2,000 litre oak foudres for 16 months, before being bottled without fining or filtration.
This blend was made by Matias Riccitelli and his father Jorge. The Malbec comes from extremely old, low-yielding vines that were planted in 1927 and produce intensely concentrated fruit. The vineyard is located in Las Compuertas, Luján de Cuyo, where the soils are made up of loamy clay over alluvial. The Cabernet Franc grapes are grown in the mountainous vineyard of Los Chacayes, in the Uco Valley, on boulder soils. The vineyards are in conversion to organic status, no herbicides are used and the vineyards are cultivated using ecologically friendly methods to respect the environment and the biodiversity of the vineyard.
Matias Riccitelli is the son of renowned winemaker Jorge Riccitelli. Having worked at some of the most prestigious wineries in Argentina and several vintages around the world, Matias used his experience, knowledge and passion and set up his own winery in 2009. His vineyards cover 50 hectares located in three selected sites within the premium growing region of Lujan de Cuyo, Mendoza. This is a young and dynamic project in which Matias is seeking to express the full potential of Argentine terroir.