Rocim “Amphora” White Herdade do Rocim is naturally vinified without any additions or must corrections. The fruit was carefully selected, vinifying only the highest quality berries. The grapes to produce Rocim “Amphora” White Herdade do Rocim were fermented with natural indigenous yeasts in traditional clay amphora pots known as ‘Tahla’. The process took place without any intervention, including temperature control. Following fermentation the wine was aged for five months with skin contact which imparted complex aromatics to the wine. This may create a natural deposit in the bottle.
Herdade do Rocim is associated with the Sustainable Program of the Alentejo Viticulture. This wine is made from organically grown grapes; 70% of the vineyard is certified and the remaining 30% is in conversion. The estate is situated on the Vidigueira fault, a 30 mile long east-west facing escarpment which rises to 420 metres. The fault significantly influences the climate, trapping the cool, humid Atlantic winds, so despite its southern location it is one of the most temperate sub regions in the Alentejo. These cooling and humid influences descend at night, creating diurnal temperature differences which extend the ripening period; with the warm days concentrating the flavours in the grapes, while balancing natural acidity is retained during the cool nights. The soils are of granitic and schistous origin. The grapes for this wine come from very old vineyards, made up of ancient, native varieties. The fruit was manually harvested at optimal maturity.
Herdade do Rocim is an estate located between Vidigueira and Cuba, in the Lower Alentejo. It comprises 120 hectares, 70 of which are made up of vineyards and 10 hectares of olive trees. Since its inception in 2000, Herdade do Rocim has invested heavily in the vineyards, replanting vines and introducing new varieties. They are pioneers in ‘amphora wines’, following the ancient traditions of vinification in pots known as ‘Tahla’. The vineyard is cultivated manually and minimal intervention is used in the cellar, to produce fresh, elegant and mineral wines. In 2018, the winery was awarded Best Wine Producer by Revista de Vinhos.