To produce the Rosso di Montalcino DOC Biondi-Santi temperature-controlled fermentation took place with indigenous yeasts in concrete vats. After fermentation, the wine was aged in Slavonian oak barrels for 12 months before bottling.
The four – hectare vineyard near the village of Pievecchia to the north of Montalcino was planted in 1970 on clay-rich soils at an altitude of 250 meters above sea level. The third plot is Pieri, to the east of Montalcino, a seven – hectare vineyard planted in 1989 on poor soil with abundance of galestro and limestone at 400 – 450 meters above sea level. The most recent vineyard – planted in 1999 – is the western facing one-hectare vineyard in Scarnacuoia, to the West of Montalcino, situated at 450 meters above sea level. This wine is made from a selection of the younger vines of Sangiovese Grosso from a massale selection of Biondi – Santi’s proprietary cloned BBS11.
The Biondi Santi winery, firmly guided for decades by Franco Biondi Santi, has become a symbol of Montalcino, and today, under the guidance of his son Jacopo, it represents the undisputed reference point for all Brunello enthusiasts. A centuries-old history, made up of passion, competence and love for the territory, which began in the mid-19th century thanks to the work and passion of Clemente Santi, a man of letters and great landowner: in fact, he owns the Tenuta Il Greppo. Biondi Santi wines obtained their first important acknowledgments at the Universal Exposition in Paris in 1867, establishing themselves on the international wine scene for their multifaceted elegance. However, it was the historic vintage of 1888 that produced what we know today as Brunello di Montalcino. Many years have passed since then and the winery, always led by the Biondi Santi family, has been the subject of growing success, becoming a great name for Brunello di Montalcino. The fulcrum of the Biondi Santi winery coincides with the historic Tenuta Il Greppo: a total of 43 hectares of which 25 are populated by Sangiovese vineyards, where there are very old plants dating back even to 1930: the Greppo vineyard is in fact used for the splendid Reserve. We are located at an altitude between 350 and 570 meters, in ideal conditions for the production of Brunello. Long aging in barrels and extraordinary gustatory freshness are the cornerstones of the tradition of the family, symbol of Brunello. In fact, here are born those great wines that have written (and continue to write) the wonderful wine history of Montalcino and the world.