The grapes to produce the “Tinto de la Casa” Matias Riccitelli were fermented with 80% as whole bunches, which added complexity from the stalks, the remaining 20% were destemmed. Vinification took place in small French oak vats, with wild yeasts at controlled temperatures of 26 to 28°C. The cap was punched down twice daily, to extract the desired level of colour, flavour and structure. The wine was aged in the same French oak vats until the following vintage.
This blend is the result of co-fermentation of two Malbec sites. 50% of the grapes come from Las Compuertas, which is situated at 1,100 metres above sea-level. The soils are one metre deep loamy clay with a rocky subsoil, which offer the vines excellent drainage. The remaining 50% comes from the premium viticultural area of Gualtallary, where the vines are planted at 1,400 metres above sea-level on calcareous soils. The wines produced here have great freshness and a discernible spicy character. The grapes grow thicker skins at high altitudes to protect themselves against the UV rays, resulting in rich, concentrated wines. The ripe fruit is balanced by the acidity naturally retained at this cooler altitude.
Matias Riccitelli is the son of renowned winemaker Jorge Riccitelli. Having worked at some of the most prestigious wineries in Argentina and several vintages around the world, Matias used his experience, knowledge and passion and set up his own winery in 2009. His vineyards cover 50 hectares located in three selected sites within the premium growing region of Lujan de Cuyo, Mendoza. This is a young and dynamic project in which Matias is seeking to express the full potential of Argentine terroir.