To produce the Zinfandel Sonoma County Seghesio, 65% of the product carries out the pumping over of the fermentation in stainless steel closed top with delestage through the tank and sieve (a two-phase transfer and return process); 25% of small open fermentation with pneumatic assisted management of the fulling cap and 10% of fermentation in rotary stainless steel. Fermented on the skins for 7 to 12 days before being transferred to barrique to complete the malolactic fermentation. Aged for 10 months in 7% new American, 15% American 1 year and 78% neutral French and American oak barrels. Racking once at the end of the malolactic fermentation and once to assemble and bottle.
The blend is comprised of vineyards ranging from Sonoma Valley, Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek and 55% of fruit is estate grown, certified sustainable estate vineyards and the remaining 45% is sourced from growers with whom Seghesio have longstanding relationships. The grapes were hand harvested in small lots resulting in over 100 different small fermentations, allowing each vineyard block to express its individual characteristics.
For over a century, the Seghesio family has played an integral role in the evolution of the region’s viticulture. The winery was established in 1895, when Italian immigrant Edoardo Seghesio planted his first Zinfandel vines in what is now Seghesio’s ‘Home Ranch’ vineyard in Alexander Valley. Edoardo and his wife Angela continued growing vines during the Prohibition years, and were the only winery in the region to survive that era. Seghesio’s reputation for world class Zinfandel was cemented under the guidance of third generation Pete Seghesio and his cousin Ted Seghesio in the 1980s. Italian consultant winemaker Alberto Antonini’s influence can be seen in the juicy, approachable style of Zinfandel that has become Seghesio’s hallmark. Seghesio owns 120 hectares of sustainably-farmed vineyards across several renowned appellations in Sonoma, including Dry Creek Valley, Alexander Valley and Russian River Valley.