The Muristeddu MRS Quartomoro is made of 100% Muristeddu grapes, originally from the Mandrolisai area in the centre of Sardinia. The land is basically sandy duo to the granitic decay. The harvest is manual, and the Muristeddu MRS Quartomoro is fermented at temperatures below 30 ° C, with indigenous yeasts, crushed and de-stemmed grapes, 7 days maceration with manual pressing. The wine is then matured for 6 months in steel and passed into barrique of at least for four months. The product is ultimatelly aged for extra 6 months in the bottle before release.
Mandrolisai is an obscure Italian wine DOC of Sardinia introduced in June 1981, and covering red and rose wines from the hilly, sunny terroir of central Sardinia. Although there are efforts to bring this wine to a wider global audience (spearheaded by the DOC’s main producer, the Cantina di Mandrolisai), the production of this wine is still so low as to prevent effective global exports.
The wines made under the Mandrolisai DOC are based on three key Sardinian grape varieties. Bovale is the most significant variety here, a variety almost identical to Bobal, which arrived in Sardinia from Spain in the Middle Ages. This must account for at least 35% of any Mandrolisai wine blend. The remaining 65% is shared equally between Cannonau (the famous Grenache variety by its Sardinian name) and the Sardinian speciality Monica.
Quartomoro di Sardegna was initially used by Piero Cella himself to experiment and test different ideas to learn more about his own wines. This led him naturally to develop it into what it is today, a kind of ‘workshop of ideas’ where new wines are created.
It is a quintessential selection chosen to represent the true culture of wine in Sardinia.
Quartomoro di Sardegna embodies an intertwining of grapes, experiences and cultures exactly like its birthplace: Arborea, a living synergy between being Sardinian and continental influences. Their mission is to produce wines that best represent one of the most interesting territories in terms of biodiversity: Sardinia. They respect what nature has given us and protect it with minimal intervention in the vineyard and in the cellar with the winemaking.