The grapes to produce the Pinot Bianco Alto Adige DOC “Lepus” Franz Haas were pressed and then 70% of the must was fermented in temperature-controlled, stainless steel vats, with the remaining 30% being vinified in small oak barriques. Part of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation. The Pinot Bianco was aged on its lees for about five months before bottling to add complexity and body.
The Pinot Bianco grapes for this wine are grown in three different vineyard sites on the hillsides of the village of Montagna. The plots are located at 400-800 metres above sea level. Vineyards are south and south-west facing, planted on diverse soils that vary from light sands to heavy porphyry. ‘Lepus’ is the Latin name for ‘hare’ and is part of the Haas family crest.
The Haas family has been growing grapes in Montagna in the province of Bolzano for generations. However, it was only with Franz, the current proprietor, that they began to produce and bottle quality wines. Franz studied at Geisenheim in Germany before working as a broker of Italian wines in the German market. After several years, he took over the running of the family business. Franz Haas goes to tremendous lengths to grow quality grapes and strives to preserve the flavours of the fruit during winemaking. As a result, the wines that he produces are infused with great character, with purity and balance on the palate. To maintain the aromatic quality of his wines, Franz Haas has bottled his entire production under screwcap from the 2018 vintage onwards. A revolutionary choice, he is one of the first Italian wine producers to have done so.